Fordhook Zucchini

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Broccoli - Green Goliath

January 28, 2012 -

Earlier this month, I started my spring vegetables. Among these were Green Goliath Broccoli. Last year, Abby really enjoyed the Packman Broccoli we planted from Bonnie Plants. This year I plan on expanding. I had some seeds of this variety from 2007 and some from 2011 that I did not plant. I started both of these lots this year using my re-purposed toilet paper rolls. (More pictures on that to follow.)

I planted these a little over a week ago. To my amazement, I have sprouts from the all the 2007 seeds. Only 1 so far of the 2011 lot has sprouted. The average last frost in my area is the first week of April. I started these guys indoors 12 weeks before this date. The kids are very excited about the little seedlings popping up. With luck I can put these guys out the first week of March and enjoy some tasty broccoli.

I am also planning on trying some De Cicco Broccoli also this year. I will start those seeds next week.

Keep posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment