Fordhook Zucchini

Sunday, March 4, 2012

More Plants - More to Update

March 4, 2012 -

So last time I told you about the mishap ... or I should say the weather ... with the Cole Family seedlings (Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, etc.) and how I had to deal with them. They will make fine dirt for the future. So, now I will tell how I replaced them.

Thursday night, Isaac, Abby, Andy and I planted 18 new Broccoli plants. Because I got them from Bonnie Plants, there were only a few varieties. So we planted 9 Premium Crop Broccoli and Packman Broccoli. I am curious about the Premium Crop because the package said they could produce heads up to 12" across. That is mammoth. They had a lot of fun doing it. I think they had more fun watering them they than did the actual planting.

We also planted 42 red onion bulbs. These were Whethersfield Red Beauty onions. I lucked up getting these at China-mart, I mean Walmart, for $1.88 for 50. Hopefully, these will do well.

I must say though that after Friday night's fun weather, it has gotten cooler and I have some of the Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach poking their heads up. Hopefully, they will grow and not bolt. Just in case they do not grow, I bought some Bonnie Spinach today and planted them. I also bought some Bonnie's Romaine lettuce today, but I did not plant it because it was cold outside.

Well, we have some yellow and white onions to plant this week and I have to build another 4x4 bed.

Keeping you updated.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Joe! I didn't realize you had started blogging again about your garden. Now that school's almost out, I'll become a regular reader again!

    Can't wait until you have results to photograph!

    Enjoy the spring,
    Grammy Pat

    ReplyDelete