Fordhook Zucchini

Sunday, April 17, 2011

April 16, 2011 Update

Hello everyone out there again. The plants are doing great so far. Everything that was transplanted is doing fine and the Better Boy Tomatoes are still growing. The broccoli has started to form another head on it so hopefully Abby will have another bunch of broccoli to eat soon.

The seeds in the egg cartons have germinated and are sprouting up. My Dixie Hybrid Yellow Squash is truly amazing. It is now some 5" tall. I will transplant it to Styrofoam cups tomorrow. I did have a casualty in them as one of the spaces did not sprout. Again, I think it was due to too much water.

The Better Boy Tomatoes and the Roma Tomatoes are all sprouting up. I will need to thin the Better Boys within the next few days to insure that the strongest survive.

Did actually add some more plants to the mix tonight. I let Isaac, Abby and Andy plant some Silver Queen Hybrid Corn. We planted six seeds and put their name on it. I will have to let you know their progress. Also, added another egg carton full of seeds last night. Planted 3 Crooked Necked Yellow Squash, 3 Cayenne Red Peppers, 3 California Green Peppers, and 3 Jalapeno Peppers. I will also have to let you know the progress on them.

Abby and I attended a compost lesson today at Crabtree Farms. Learned a lot about composting and the wonder of getting free dirt.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm so glad I do the sad and lonely Grammy bit and go back to Jocelyn's blog periodically to reread her posts and re-view her pictures of the kids. If I hadn't, I never would have found your gardening blog, Joe! I'm impressed with your selection of veggies and fruit and cheering you on from the sidelines! It would tickle Gommy Petty to death if you or Jocelyn would call her every now and again with a gardening question. She had a huge garden with Papa Petty for several years, but she was the brains and he was the lovable, grandfatherly brawn. Pick her brain!

    Love,
    Grammy Pat

    ReplyDelete